My Crew

Friday, July 31, 2009

Trying to go back to School - VGNO

All I want to do is go back to school. But my college doesn't seem to want me too. They seem like they are doing everything possible to make it harder for me. Or they are doing as little as possible to help me.

I was accepted to return to my old college back in January. I filed for my financial aid as soon as we filed our taxes. Then I waited. And waited. And waited some more.

At the end of May I contacted the school so I could finalize my class schedule. I had to meet with my advisor. So I drove the hour it takes me to get to campus and after about and hour finally figured out which classes I needed and which classes were not already full. Which was LOADS of fun.

While I was on campus I thought I should go by the financial aid office to see what was going on with my money. Well first they looked at my like I was crazy. Then they told me I was not going to get any money or grants because I had only finished 71% of my classes and needed to finish 75% in order to get money. Well I had to drop 4 classes 7 years ago because i could go to school full time, work full time and take care of my son. They just looked at me and said, "SORRY." Well after asserting myself to the little girl behind the counter I was able to speak to someone who really mattered. She told me to go here and do this and I would be able to get some financial; aid because I had been out of school for so long.

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

I call the school back a month later because the computer is still showing NO MONEY! Well after being passed around to about 6 different people I was talking to the HEAD of financial aid and she told me that what I had done a month ago was the worse ting to do and it would help me because my old grades were so good. (It pays to study.) She told me what I should have been told a month before. Well I finally got everything with financial aid all straightened out.

Yesterday I drove all the way to campus with three kids to buy my books. I thought it would be a good opportunity to show my kids a real college. If I start drilling them about college now There will be no question about going to college later. They were thrilled. They thought it was great. We got all the books and I even got the kids T-shirts to they could brag about their Mommy. After spending an hour in the campus bookstore we went to pay for our loot. They little girl behind the counter just looked at me and told me I couldn't purchase books until 10 days before school starts. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! So we put all our stuff back, (The kids were not happy about that.) and drove back home.

I guess they haven't really been that bad. It is just so frustrating. I am already really nervous about going back. I have been gone for 7 years and I will be so much older than everyone else. Not so much in years (I will be 28 in October where most of my fellow classmates will be 20) but in experience. I am a married mother of three and most of them can't even drink legally.

I am excited and really want to show my kids I can do this. I am just ready for the semester to start. The anticipation is the worst part.

WISH ME LUCK!


Photobucket



13 comments:

Susan said...

Wow! Good for you going back to school! Hope starting back is smoother than getting registered, etc.

Lady Mama said...

That does sound frustrating but good for you for going back! Don't worry about the age gap, you'll just be a little ahead of the other students in the wisdom department! ;)

Upstatemamma said...

UGH!!! My husband went back to school to finish his degree a few years back. It was equally frustrating. However, he says it was the absolute best thing he ever did. Good luck and I will be praying for your success.

robin said...

Good for you! Love your determination. And 28 really isn't all that old... given what's going on with the economy, there are people going back to school in droves who are way older!
Good luck!
Oh, and happy friday and happy GNO!

Lagean Ellis said...

I do wish you luck. It is so hard to go back not to mention trying to deal with "LIFE" and school. You can do this. They will be so proud.

Happy VGNO

Nicole said...

Good for you mama!!! It will be a much more rewarding experience now that you are older. Have fun and I hope it all works out well for you.

Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend!

Martha said...

Happy VGNO! Good luck with school!

Opus #6 said...

Aaaah! That sounds REALLY frustrating. Dealing with schools can be a pain. Good luck.

The Redhead Riter said...

for you...

http://theredheadriter.blogspot.com/2009/08/secrets-friends-and-sharing.html

shelley said...

best wishes stacey! going back to school is wonderful, hope everything works out for you. can't beleive they wouldn't let you buy the books. very strange! i'm having my first giveaway! stop by and join in!
shelley
http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com
http://theplaygroundprincess.blogspot.com

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Once you are back all the hassle will be a distant memory. It'll be so worth it! Good for you!

Tania (via SITS)

Kristen said...

Going back to school? Good for you girl! Good luck with all the unfun admission/books crap. Happy VGNO!

Lizzie said...

so after we talked you couldn't get books??? that's crap!